[mythtv-users] xbox frontend

MegaDeTH megadeth at geekopolis.com
Tue Jul 22 21:04:41 EDT 2003

Here's the rough install directions I use, I've got 2 acting as
frontends, it's rough, I've got some notes strewn in with the directions..

setup xbox (boot debian cd)

defaults on extra 2 gig space (if you have 10gb drive)

download csv

add following line to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu:8088/~mdz/debian woody lame
apt-get update
apt-get install lame
apt-get install liblame-dev

remote previous line, and replace with
deb http://cedar-solutions.com/ftp/debian stable main
apt-get install xmltv

remove previous line and replace with
deb http://ftp.linux.pt/pub/xbox/debian woody main
(xbox deb list)
http://xbox-debian.linux.pt/
apt-get xlibs-dev
apt-get xlibmesa-dev
apt-get mplayer

#apt-get libqt3-mt-dev

uncomment main us deb sources
apt-get update
apt-get install libqt3-dev
apt-get install libqt3-mysql
apt-get install libqt3-mt-dev
apt-get install libqt3-mt-mysql

setup QTDIR and path for qt (sometimes qt3)
QTDIR=/usr/share/qt
path=/usr/share/qt/bin

get cvs's
make mythtv install

add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf path
ldconfig

You can either request Peter's xbox module code & precompiled binary, or
build your own.
peter at bms.net.au
I use peter's code, but I compile it myself with slightly different
mappings for the remote.

  o Download kernel sources (2.4.20 full)
  o Apply the XBOX Kernel tree over the top (packaged patch) (use stock
config file)\
  o http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=54192
  o Put in Peter's updated usb-xboxir.*
  o Tweak usb-xboxir.h keymapping to preference.
  o make modules
  o cp /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/usb-xboxir.o
/lib/modules/2.4.20-xbox/kernel/drivers/usb/

apt-get install blackbox

make the following file, /root/.xinitrc with ->

xset -dpms s off &
irxevent &
mythfrontend &
blackbox

make the following file /root/.blackboxrc with ->

session.screen0.focusNewWindows:        True
session.screen0.focusModel:     SloppyFocus

cd /etc
rm xdm
ln -s /root/startmyth xdm

make the following file  /root/startmyth with the following

#nfsstart is what I use to map to my nfs share
/root/nfsstart
/root/driveup
su - root

#set permissions on file
chmod 777 startmyth

modify /root/.profile  add "startx" without quotes as last line

mkdir /mnt/store
chmod 777 /mnt/store

create /root/nfsstart, with ->

mount mastermyth:/d/video /mnt/store

#set permissions on file
chmod 777 nfsstart

make the following file  /root/driveup with ->

hdparm -c3 /dev/hda
hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
hdparm -X69 /dev/hda
rmmod xpad
rmmod usb-xboxir
modprobe usb-xboxir

#set permissions on file
chmod 777 driveup

system will now run XDM as last step, which does a "su" to root, root's
.profile runs "startx" which has a default setting that starts up mythtv

get mplayer
get mplayer mythpatch
make install both

get mythvideo
make install

Notes:
Had to get current version of QT to install on one box
to build qt, use ./configure -threads -sql-mysql