[mythtv-users] Video card suggestions

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Tue Jul 22 18:08:16 EDT 2003

I just bought a Chaintech GeForce 4 MX 440 from Newegg.com for $43, I believe.  You should be able to find it on their site just by searching (sorry, don't have a direct link handy).  The 3D performance of this card is pretty atrocious but it seems to have the better TV output chip in it (it does support 1024x768, so I believe it's the nVidia chip) and it looks pretty much indistinguishable from the Matrox G400 card I replaced with it.  (The Matrox was just too difficult to deal with.)

YMMV, and I can't guarantee your experience will be as good as mine - makers of these cheapie cards often change chipsets in mid-stream without changing model numbers and I can't vouch for their quality control (though I've had no issues at all).  But I'd recommend this card for a Myth box based on my personal experience with it.