[mythtv-users] converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Jul 22 14:35:19 EDT 2003

> MPEG4 is just a standard of how to compress file, how they implement it
> depends on who implements it. For example, mythtv mpeg4 codec is
> implemented by nuppel.

unfortunately, whether correct or not, MPEG4 currently refers to any
number of different encoding codecs.  the divx people like to think they
they're mpeg4, and Apple announced over a year ago that Sorenson was to
be the default.  I'm sure that microsoft and others have their own
ideas.  the *official* MPEG4 standard is still being decided (they
recently figured out what the licensing structure will be, but they're
still arguing about the codec itself).

It's been asked a few times "which" MPEG4 is used by myth, but I've
never heard a response.

nuppel is a container format (like ogg or avi), and even if you can get
the stream into something a mac (or windows machine) can read - avi -
with an mplayer stream copy, that doesn't mean that the end machine can
read it (the standard divx codec will NOT work, or those of us who
wanted would be able to watch those in windows, which we cannot).

-Chris