[mythtv-users] trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend producesblank screen

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Tue Jul 22 10:25:53 EDT 2003

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> This could be a problem, as the listings grabber serves not only to populate
> program listings, but also to initially populate your channel table.  So
> maybe your German listings grabber is setting your system up to tune
> channels that you don't have.

Might be so. But: MythTV tunes in to a valid TV channel, as the audio I
get is from a valid TV channel. Also, starting xawtv after killing
mythfronted brings in a valid TV channel (xawtv does not change / tune
channels on startup, it simply shows the channel the tuner was tuned to
earlier). and when MythTV starts, it doesn't display the 'battle of the
ants' screen (well, the gray chaos thingie) I'd get when I tune into an
empty frequency, but simply the screen is black.

BTW, I have two questions on this issue:

- when I was grabbing the german channels for the first time, it asked
me to give numbers to each channel by hand. what were those numbers? did
their value matter?

- how could I import my xawtv channel list into MythTV, to make sure I
have valid channels

> Is your backend on a different machine than the frontend?

no, it's the same machine.

> Yes, but 'previous versions' is significant.  What might have worked
> flawlessly under RedHat 7.1 might not (or at least require different
> options) under RedHat 9.

well, everything worked flawlessly (xawtv, xine, mplayer) with all the

Akos