[mythtv-users] Off-Topic - Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Mon Jul 21 13:04:26 EDT 2003

Not sure specifically which keyboard/mouse they use in hotel set top boxes, but I have this one:

http://www.provantage.com/buy-22072162-micro-innovations-keyboards-ibm-navigator-pro-wireless-shopping.htm

(May need to copy and paste that link; it's a bit long.)

For around $50, this thing is pretty nice.  I wouldn't want to use it for a desktop PC but it's pretty much perfect for a Myth box.  Works fine under Linux with no additional drivers; the OS just sees it as a plain old PS/2 keyboard and mouse.  Only thing that doesn't work is the quick-launch keys, but that's to be expected and is true of pretty much every other wireless keyboard with these sorts of extra keys under Linux.

The only two somewhat odd things about it (and every wireless kb has a few oddities) is the somewhat non-standard keyboard layout that honestly only takes about 5 minutes to get used to, and the fact that the size of the two "mouse" buttons is reversed - the left mouse button is smaller than the right.  But it's not a big deal.

Lots of people swear by the Gyration mouse/keyboard combo but a) it's $100, and b) it's two separate pieces.  I don't find that very efficient for using as what amounts to a large remote control.  I like the IBM because it's got an integrated pointer, it's relatively small and light, it's built pretty well, and heck, it's an IBM.