[mythtv-users] trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon Jul 21 08:52:51 EDT 2003

At 09:51 AM 7/21/2003 +0200, Akos Maroy wrote:
[...]
>I thought the mythtv mailing list would focus more on mythtv itself, not
>on general Linux issues.

It would be nice it if could. In practice, it "focuses" on what is needed
to get beginners ... to Myth, often to Linux, and sometimes to the very
idea of digitized video recording ... to the point where they have working
systems. Since we are not the Psychic Friends Network, we don't know how
much a new-to-the-list poster knows about general issues. Not surprisingly,
then, we will not assume a perfect knowledge of how Linux works and suggest
system-level solutions if they seem indicated by the problem description
(the vaguer the description ... and your *initial* posting was about as
vague as they come ... the more likely someone will start with system-level
suggestions and questions).

OK, you want a response with a "focus more on mythtv itself", and one that
assumes you are knowledgeable about Linux, so here it is.

Run a backtrace and report the results (assuming that looking at it does
not make the answer obvious to you without help) so we can see *what*
causes the segfaults you reported.

Or search the list archive for other threads that report problems similar
to yours and see if any of the suggested solutions there fit the bill.

Next, in these messages --

>2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 1
>2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 0
>2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a player 0
>2003-07-20 12:31:23 adding: destroy as a remote ringbuffer

-- does "destroy" have some special local meaning (e.g., is it a hostname?)
or is this part of the basic message text? (I ask because I've never seen a
similar message on my systems, and I'm particularly puzzled by the "remote
ringbuffer" part.)

Next, have you been able to *record* video for later viewing? I ask because
you report some STDERR results about selecting "watch recordings", but I do
not know from your report (a) if there is anything to watch, (b) if the
observed symptom (black screen) is the same here as with "live" TV, or (c)
if the symptom occurs when Myth tries to display the file directory or only
after you select a file to play.

Next, I recall your also posting a message about problems with grabbing
listings for Hungarian TV. Specifically, you say --

>One problem was that I the video source, I could not set up tv_grab_hu as
>the listings grabber, as it was missing as an option. So I set it to Germany.

How did you fill the database for purposes of these tests -- does the
German download source really provide TV listings for your locale and
provider? -- and are the entries for channels and frequencies an exact
match to the ones in /etc/X11/xawtvrc (or its RH equivalent, if RH keeps
the file in a different location than Debian uses)?

Bottom line: I infer from the lack of response from others here (more
exactly, the lack of the Myth-specific responses you want) that nobody
recognizes an "obvious" Myth problem from your descriptions. That means
taking it to the next level, which involves (a) your supplying a backtrace
and (b) your looking more closely at the details of how you set up Myth to
see if you introduced an error that we are not thinking of.