[mythtv-users] More Sound Issues - SB Live! bttv card.

Brent Michalski brent at perlguy.net
Mon Jul 21 09:27:12 EDT 2003

I have searched the archives, but with the vast amount of sound problems
in there, I was unable to find anything that helped me yet.

So, I am going to ask and see if anyone has any answers for me...

I have a RedHat 9 box with a Sound Blaster Live! Card in it, I can play
movies and music fine, and I can "cat" sounds to /dev/dsp.  I cannot use
"aplay" and point it to /dev/dsp though, it tells me "no such device"...

The main problem I am having is with sound coming from my DirecTV box.
I have an older Hauppage(sp?) card that works fine and I can see the
video no problem.  I am using the S-Video as my input source.  If I
start Xawtv, I can fiddle with the channels and get a bit of distorted
sound, but I cannot get a nice, clear sound source...

I am using the sound drivers that RedHat installed when I loaded this
box, I had seen several messages about alsa having problems with SB
Live! cards so wanted to stay away from more problems.

If anyone has pointers or an example setup that they may have, that
would be awesome!  I imagine that there are probably many out there who
have RH9 and an SB Live! card and even an older WinTv card...

Anyway, pointers and tips or complete solutions would be very welcome!
I REALLY want to get to a point were I can RECORD shows, at the moment
all I can do is watch existing videos, listen to music and browse
photos...

Thanks!!!

Brent Michalski