[mythtv-users] Trouble displaying unicode in EPG

James Y. Knight foom at fuhm.net
Sun Jul 20 16:24:05 EDT 2003

On Sunday, July 20, 2003, at 12:09  PM, Michael Selivanov wrote:

> I'm trying to display unicode data (hebrew, to be precise) in MythTV
> EPG.
> All my atempts failed - I always see latin1 encoding instead of UTF.
> All hebrew letters are displayed as either latin extended characters
> (like ??????> AE> ?????????? etc...), or as two characters (in case of
> UTF encoding).
> I know that my fonts are fine, because I see all date related stuff in
> EPG (day of the week, month) in hebrew.
>
> According to unicode.org, hebrew letter 'alef' is represented by code
> 05D0 in UTF-8.
> However, if I put this code in mythconverg.program.title, I see two
> characters on EPG (instead of expected one).
> I'd really appreciate if someone could give working example of ANY
> unicode character displayed in EPG.

I don't know if myth EPG supports unicode correctly, but, you aren't
doing it right.

05D0 isn't the UTF-8 representation of the character. That is the
unicode code-point of the character. The UTF-8 representation is D7 90.
You can look up how to translate a code-point to the UTF-8 encoding
here: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html>. Of course, it's
easier to simply use a unicode-aware editor, of which there are many,
rather than doing utf-8 encoding manually.

James