[mythtv-users] MythTV shopping list

Scott Blomfield ScottB at Cavps.com
Sat Jul 19 17:18:49 EDT 2003

I'll second that. Either buy a faster processor (could get expensive,
because you'd probably need a new motherboard as well) or get the
Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250. It's about $125 if you find a good deal. Maybe
you can get a CPU + board for cheaper that has the horse power to do
software encoding. Your call.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Z [mailto:mythtv at ricerage.org]
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2003 1:38 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV shopping list

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 13:18, Rob Hudson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning on taking a fairly old box and making a MythTV server out
> of it.  I'm in the process of making a shopping list, trying to find
the
> right pieces that work with Linux.
>
> Here's my planned system so far:
>
> AMD-K62 500 MHz CPU
> 256 MB RAM
> 40 GB HD

Thats rather on the slow side as CPUs go. More on that later...

*If* the TV card could do the encoding in hardware, your assumption
would be correct. In this case it isn't, because it doesn't.

With a K62 500, I don't think you're going to be recording well. You're
better off going with a PVR-250 it seems.

Brian