[mythtv-users] trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend produces blank screen

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sat Jul 19 14:33:10 EDT 2003

At 09:09 PM 7/19/2003 +0200, Akos Maroy wrote:
>Ray Olszewski wrote:
>>In any case, the odds are about 100 to 1 that this is an X problem, not a
>>Myth problem.
>
>I'd be really surprised if this was an X problem. I've been using this
>very system to watch TV, DVD movies, DivX movies, play games, etc. for
>more than 1.5 years now. (and the same TV tuner card on a similar system
>for 2 year before that) But see my test results below.
[rest deleted]

So would I, now, with the additional information you provided. My initial
response was based on the sketchiness of your report, especially your
reliance on xawtv as the criterion for whether everything else (besides
Myth) was working properly.

Of course, your report was equally sketchy about your Myth setup, as well
as on your hardware. For example, aside from knowing that your tuner card
is 3.5 years old, I still know nothing about it.

You might find it worthwhile to post another followup that includes the
rest of the details about your hardware (round up the usual spspects: CPU
type and speed, RAM, hard disk size, what capture card), mentions what
version of MythTV you are running (at least if it is a distro pre-package,
the main tarball, or CVS), and what procedure you followed to set it up.

In particular, what /dev/* devices are you telling Myth to use when
capturing video and audio? Are they the correct devices (i.e., the same
ones you have xawtv using)?

Does the problem occur only when watching "live" TV, or does it occur when
playing back recorded video in Myth?

Also ... not being a Red Hat user, I'm not certain of this ... but I think
that RH 9.0 is less than 1.5 years old, and I do know that XFree86 4.3.x is
not anywhere close to 1.5 years old ... so you might want to be a bit more
exact about what "this very system" is known to do properly.