[mythtv-users] MythTV shopping list

Brian Z mythtv at ricerage.org
Sat Jul 19 15:37:56 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 13:18, Rob Hudson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning on taking a fairly old box and making a MythTV server out
> of it.  I'm in the process of making a shopping list, trying to find the
> right pieces that work with Linux.
>
> Here's my planned system so far:
>
> AMD-K62 500 MHz CPU
> 256 MB RAM
> 40 GB HD

Thats rather on the slow side as CPUs go. More on that later...

> Need to buy:
> TV Tuner card: LeadTek TV2000 XP Deluxe
> PCI Wireless card: Netgear MA311 PCI
> Video card with TV out: Suggestions?

As a straight tuner card, that one should work, though I don't know
about the remote. The NIC is well supported as well (natsemi driver
IIRC). I'm using a Geforce4MX 440SE and the Svideo out (via the
propriatary NVidia drivers) is great.

> Can anyone comment on the choice of cards and how well they are
> supported?  If not well, maybe suggestions for others?  I was looking
> for fairly inexpensive cards and linux support.  I like the fact that
> the TV2000 has IR built-in, but haven't found too much online on the
> support of it.
>
> It's a slow processor by today's standards.  My hope was that if the TV
> card can do the encoding in hardware, that'll free up some processing
> for the other tasks.  I hope this isn't a bad assumption.

*If* the TV card could do the encoding in hardware, your assumption
would be correct. In this case it isn't, because it doesn't.

With a K62 500, I don't think you're going to be recording well. You're
better off going with a PVR-250 it seems.

Brian