[mythtv-users] Notebook hard drives

Scott Blomfield ScottB at Cavps.com
Fri Jul 18 19:08:52 EDT 2003

Per Chris response, yes I am buying quality parts.
Asus Pundit: $180
Hauppauge PVR-250: $130
Intel Celeron 2000: $80
512Mb PC2700 Ram: $60

I have (so far) the I/R keyboard and I have a few hard drives in my
possession already that I was hoping to reuse. Sure, I will upgrade
later as money and time permits... but right now, let's tally up the
list of quality parts: $450
Even assuming some phenomenal sales, I doubt I would get out of it for
too much less. And that isn't even including the CDRW/DVD I want to
include...

Parts add up. Not everyone buys the cheap parts. Quality speaks for its
self.

Thanks,

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Dane Kantner [mailto:webmaster at cmtweb.com]
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 5:16 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Notebook hard drives

> I just bought a new drive for my desktop, and I still have over $300
in
> other parts to buy for my Myth box... adding another $60 to that price

How are you spending $300 and still don't have everything?  (you can
find a
barebones system, with motherboard+case for ~50-150, an athlon xp for
50,
ddr mem for 40)... By my tally, thats somewhere between 140 and 200,
without
hard drive or capture card.  you can get capture cards from 30-50,
bringing
the tally to 170-250.  You might need a scan convertor, which can be
gotten
for $40.  Thats $200-300.  But, you talk like you already have a box and
don't need all of those things.  For $80-100 you can have a snazzy huge
hard
drive.

More over, if you *are* spending $200 on a new system, why skimp out and
use
small/old hard drives?

-d