[mythtv-users] Mobo [off topic]

Brian Lalor blalor at bravo5.org
Fri Jul 18 11:01:08 EDT 2003

Brandon Beattie wrote:

> I'd be curious if anyone here has their second channel ide working, if
> they're using an MSI MB with a via kt400 chipset, or any kt400 chipset.
> Also last night at the local LUG, someone has the MSI KT4-ultra, which
> has the kt400 chipset, and they can't get anything installed either.

I've got an Asus a7v8x-x[1] which uses the KT400 chipset.  I didn't know about
the problems others were having with it when I bought mine... :-)  I'm using a
Lite-On (IIRC; dmesg sees "hdc: JLMS XJ-HD166S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive")
CD/DVD-ROM drive.  I used it to install RH9 and I use it for ripping CDs
(about 200 so far).  I do get these errors when ripping:
	hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
	hdc: irq timeout: error=0x00
	hdc: DMA disabled
	hdc: ATAPI reset complete
	hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
	hdc: irq timeout: error=0x00
	hdc: ATAPI reset complete

... but *most* of my rips are successful (using Grip, oggenc and cdparanoia).
    The ones that aren't are due, I think, to scratched CDs.

So there's another data point for ya.  I can't comment authoritatively on
overall performance (which I think is a little iffy) because this is the first
high-performance computer I've build (actually, the first computer I've built
period).

[1] http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v8x-x/overview.htm

--
    __   ____