[mythtv-users] Mobo [off topic]

Brandon Beattie bbeattie-maillist at linkexplorer.com
Thu Jul 17 16:35:06 EDT 2003

I don't recomment via kt333, or the kt400 chipset.  It could just be me
and a half dozen other people, but the second ide channel doesn't work.
It did on 2.2.18 for installing debian, but with 2.4.18 or 2.4.20, every
device I've tried on that second ide channel causes ATAPI reset errors,
and I've never been able to mount a cd (I can play a dvd throug direct
access in xine though).  Anyway, I got the MSI kt4v, which has the KT
400 chipset.  after 30 hours of trial disabling dma, pci, removing all
pci cards, and even moving my main harddrive to hdc (instead of hda) I
get the ATAPI reset errors and nothing will work.  I'm not sure if it's
a kernel problem or what.  Some people say Suse worked on this chip, but
knoppix, redhat and mandrake all don't work people report.

I'd be curious if anyone here has their second channel ide working, if
they're using an MSI MB with a via kt400 chipset, or any kt400 chipset.
Also last night at the local LUG, someone has the MSI KT4-ultra, which
has the kt400 chipset, and they can't get anything installed either.

--Brandon