[mythtv-users] PVR 350 Sound Issues

MailMan mailman at amadeuss.net
Thu Jul 17 16:15:27 EDT 2003

I've installed mythtv 0.10 on my Mandrake 9.1 box.  I'm using an AMD Athlon 800 in an epox motherboard with onboard audio.  My capture card is a Hauppauge PVR 350.  Its a fresh Mandrake install (almost all defaults), I've only added the ivtv drivers for the pvr card and mythtv from thac's rpms.  I'm running everything as a non privileged user through KDE.  I've tried several different configurations now, and I run into the same two major problems every time.  Mythtv (live tv mode) will show the video (which looks pretty good) but I get no sound.  I've tried both available devices (/dev/dsp and /dev/sound/dsp).  KDE starts the artsd sound server by default on boot, so when I try to start mythtv while its running myth crashes and tells me that something is using /dev/dsp.  If I kill the artsd server, or disable the auto startup and reboot, then myth will start up and display video without sound.  Myth appears to detect the audio stream, it shows stream #0 video, and stream #1 audio, and it gives no errors.  I'm able to play sounds using aplay, and when I do a cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg and play it back with mplayer the sound works fine.  The second issue I run into is changing channels.  I'm not using a remote at the moment but every time I press the up or down arrow, the osd displays the time but doesn't change the channel.  I've tried everything I can think of to fix the audio issue, but nothing works.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Does anyone else out there have a similar hardware setup?  If so, please let me know what you did to get everything working.  Thanks.