[mythtv-users] MythVideo Feature Request - Offline Files

John Rives john.rives at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 14:17:52 EDT 2003

Please forgive me if this has already been covered, in my searching I did
not find a solution.

Would it be possible / could someone point me in the right direction to
enable MythVideo to work with offline content? I have many videos archived
to CD that I would like to include in MythVideo database (browse through
them), but when selected be prompted to insert the appropriate CD to begin
watching the video. In addition to this, spanning would be nice - if a
specific video has two CD's, for it to prompt for CD 1, launch the player,
then prompt for CD 2, launch the player, the exit back into MythVideo. It
would be incredible to keep 50-60 files available in mythvideo for on-demand
(live on hard drive), and have others available upon request by entering
appropriate CD (have it know the filename).

Ideas? I am not sure the best way to do this in Linux - I had a Windows
system setup to parse the filelist of each CD when it was inserted, find any
content with .avi extension, and launch player with first .avi file found.
Could a script be written (and called by MythVideo) to prompt for CD, mount
CD, check for presence of specific file, if found launch mplayer, if not
umount cd and request user to insert appropriate CD or cancel? Then repeat
the process (only with the second file for the series) when mplayer exists.
Would the mythvideo database need to have changes made to it to include
multiple filenames in a single record?

If someone else has thought about this or is trying to figure this out
already, please share your ideas!!