[mythtv-users] MythTV, minor sound issue, major video issue

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Thu Jul 17 13:35:13 EDT 2003

On Thursday 17 July 2003 11:05 am, Marius Kjeldahl wrote:
> I'm running MythTV from CVS with a PVR 250 card and on an nForce2
> motherboard (Shuttle SN45G with nForce2 sound and net) and have noticed a
> couple of issues. I've been waiting a week to see if these were solved by
> upgrading from the live CVS tree, but so far no sigar.
>
> 1. Sound issue
>
> When MythTV starts up and I go in and watch live tv, sound is not enabled.
> Simply switching channel seems to activate sound, but I would guess it
> should be on by default. The only clue I have found about sound from the
> backend is this message:

That's an ivtv driver issue, bring it up on their mailing list.

> WARNING:  Capture device /dev/dsp is not reporting full duplex capability
>
> Does not sound too serious, and as said I have no problem with sound after
> switching channel.

It's not serious, as you're not using the soundcard to record with.

> 2. Video issue
>
> Watching live tv works great, even pause/unpause livetv. However, all
> recordings that have been scheduled from the program guide seems to be
> blank (includig no sound). When I try to play recordings, the screen
> briefly flashes blue and then shows all black. I've tried various
> recordings on various channels but they all fail. I have no problem
> watching live tv - only the recordings fail. I have found no indications in
> the output from the backend that it is having problems recording, and apart
> from the missing sound and video, it actually stores a recording (all
> black, no sound).

Sounds like you may have set up a input on the card other than the tuner (or
the input you want) with the same mapping -- ie, some people have wrongly
told every single input on the card (in the 4th section of setup) to be
connected to the same video source.  When it goes to live-tv, it uses the
default input (generally the tuner), but when it goes to record, it picks the
first input that's mapped to that channel, and you get a blank recording.

Isaac