[mythtv-users] does mythmusic need nfs access to files?

Kirby Vandivort kvandivo at ks.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 17 11:48:59 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:37:28PM -0500, Kirby Vandivort wrote:
> I've just set up mythmusic on my xbox frontend and it isn't working
> correctly.  I can see the list of songs that were in the database,
> but none of them actually play and make joyous sound come out of my
> speakers.
>
> If I 'scan' for music from the xbox, it empties out my music list.
>
> So, what i'm wondering is if mythmusic is expecting nfs access to the
> song file directory and not going through the backend.  Am I way off
> base?  Should I be looking elsewhere to figure out why it isn't playing
> tunes?

I'll answer my own question:

Yes, it does NFS access.  I set up my xbox to have NFS access to my
backend machine that has the songs stored, and all worked nicely.

A note to Rob about the docs.   In the NFS section, I had to add
the 'nolock' option to the clients fstab file in the option section.
It might be good to mention that it might be needed.

Before I added the 'nolock' the mount just hung indefinitely.

fyi, this was on gentoox running on an xbox.  Don't know if all gentoo
needs the 'nolock' option or not.

Also, on the server, the /etc/exports works cleaner (not necessarily
safer) with

/mnt/store  *(rw,sync)

(the * is a host list, and explicitly adding 'sync' removes a warning
when starting nfsd)

--

Kirby Vandivort                      Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Email: kvandivo at ks.uiuc.edu          3051 Beckman Institute