[mythtv-users] Multiple tuners with different channels

Dave dave_fluff at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 12:45:35 EDT 2003

Hi,

I've trawled the email list archives and manuals for the answer to this
question, and I /think/ I know the answer, but here goes anyway:

I now have a system with an analoge card which sits across the output
of a digi-cable box, and a DVB-T card, which is on a slave backend (but
that shouldn't be a problem for this question).

The cable source can get a large number of channels.  The DVB-T source
can get a sub-set of the same channels, but at a higher quality.

Is there a way that I can have myth favour the DVB-T source for a
channel, unless it's not available due to already being busy, or the
slave that the DVB-T is on not running?

I have a feeling that the only current way of doing this is to have the
common channels appear in the EPG twice, and to explicitly schedule
recordings on the channels associated with the DVB-T card.  Am I right
in thinking this?

If this is the case, I have a suggestion as to how a channel available
on multiple sources may be described.  Sadly I'm not a good enough
coder to actually implement this.  Basically, the source id's in the
database, rather than being numbered as "1,2,3,..,n" could be numbered
as "1,2,4,8,...,n^2".  Then, in the channel table a channel that is
availble to the first source would have a sourceid of 1, a channel
available to the second source would be 2, and a channel available on
both sources would be 1+2=3.  That way you could describe which
channels are availble on which sources when you have multiple cards.

I appreaciate that this would make matching channels to sources harder,
since you couldn't just do a channel.sourceid=cardinput.sourceid but it
would make myth even more flexible.

Cheers,

--Dave