[mythtv-users] Feature Confusion

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Wed Jul 16 22:28:06 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 07:49 pm, Jarrod Gray wrote:
> While reading the story on Slashdot today about the Telly Linux PVR, I
> came across this comment:
> http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=71232&cid=6449199
> 	"MythTV looks like a good start, but the effort required to get 		it
> working is significant, and it doesn't do anything BUT 			timeshift and
> record. It can't playback your DVD, VCDs, SVCDs, 			or Divx CDs, it
> can't save your recorded shows to CD/DVD, it 			can't playback music or
> display images, etc... "
>
> I think this comment reflects the difficulty in finding a complete
> feature list.

Well, I'd more tend to think that that comment reflects the general level of
(il)literacy of most slashdot posters. =)

> The "Features and Screenshots" web page needs to be
> updated to more clearly communicate all of the features of MythTV.  It
> might be best to separate the screenshots from the features.

All of the screenshots are there to illustrate a feature, though.  I don't
think it'd really make all that much sense to separate em totally.

> Important features like the ability to skip commercials,

That's on there.

> auto-deletion of shows,

Not a feature yet, as it's just in CVS.  I generally don't put stuff on the
features page until it's in a release.

> and translation into other languages aren't even mentioned.

That's not, true.

> If all of  the features and abilities were listed, a lot of people might be
> surprised by the progess of the project.
>
> Isaac, would you like a mock-up of changes or how should users
> contribute to the website content?

mock-ups are good, yes.

Isaac