[mythtv-users] Stability and performance (noob to mythtv alert)

Mark Casey mccasey at clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 22:37:23 EDT 2003

Okay, been meaning to get a freevo box up and running sometime.. So I bought
almost all the parts last week (turned out the old case I had is more dead
than Gary Glitter's music career, so buying a new one on Saturday) P3 500,
cheapo cmi8738 based soundcard, wintv (878 based) card, radeon 7000 with tv
out (the only cheaper card was a sis card with tv out but wasn't sure of its
support under linux) and have some spare memory (marked 128MB for it, but
got more spare) and a 4GB hdd.

For the most part (until I get a big hdd for it) I'm not too bothered about
recording but what I am interested in is dvd, divx, music (ogg vorbis & mp3)
playback and playing games under an emulator.
So, came across the MythTV project.. At the moment I'm currently planning on
using Freevo under Gentoo, however its emulator support is essentially
alpha/beta..
So, what is everyones experiences with MythTV?
Is it stable and under a P3 500 is it usable?
Emulator support is a bonus but not absolutely necessary.

Come on, convince me to use MythTV instead of Freevo.  :)

Thanks

Mark