[mythtv-users] Re: FreeBSD Port...anybody?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 10:53:17 EDT 2003

Seems like what needs to be done is some kind of coordinated effort/roadmap
to actually come up with something that can be committed to CVS.  For
instance:

(1) Configure source for frontend-only build on current (Linux/x86) platform
(i.e., #ifdef out stuff that the frontend doesn't need, like V4L calls,
based off of a variable in settings.pro, maybe)

(2) Test #1 & commit.  Now we have a working frontend-only build for
Linux/x86.

(3) Port frontend-only build to *BSD/x86.

(4) Test #3 and commit.  Now we have a working frontend-only build for
*BSD/x86.

(5) Port #1 & #3 to LinuxPPC & *BSD/ppc (Darwin?) respectively (mostly
endianness issues?)

(6) Test #5 & commit.  Voila, working frontend-only builds for Linux & *BSD
on PPC.

After that, a really adventurous soul could attempt a native Cocoa MacOSX
port using Qt/Free Mac and native OSX audio & video output APIs.

So, any volunteers? :-)

-JAC