[mythtv-users] Re: SAA7134 (Flyvideo 3000) not always capturing audio

Rob Nielsen rob at roblisa.com
Tue Jul 15 19:57:12 EDT 2003

CH wrote:
 >Anyone else had similar problems? I don't think it's the driver since
 >if I use aplay /dev/dsp1 (the device created by the SAA7134 driver) it
 >always works. It only seems to happen with Myth capturing the audio.

Hi.  I've just setup a system with 2 Flyvideo 3000 cards (sound through
PCI bus) and am experiencing exactly the same thing.  It is definately
on the recording side and looks like either a problem with the driver or
the way MythTV tunes the channels as plugging speakers directly into the
capture card produces no sound when it happens.

Other things I've found is that after a reboot, both tuners almost
always have no sound initially and I need to go to Watch TV, ESC, Watch
TV... a few times to get them going but then after that you get the
occasional recording with no sound.

I'm also getting the volume differences between recordings but generally
they are very quiet and I have to turn the volume right up on the TV.
Anyone know of a way of boosting the sound before it is recorded?

As a workaround for this, if the cause can't be found, how hard would it
be to sample the sound for a small period of time after a channel change
and if there is no sound detected, then try retuning?

Cheers,
Rob.