[mythtv-users] nuv -> svcd

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Jul 14 19:32:50 EDT 2003

> Interesting.  Does mplayer exhibit the same
> behavior if you send the output to the video card
> and sound card (i.e. no -vo -ao options)?
> If so, then it sounds like there's a fundamental
> problem (bug) in mplayer.

Well, mplayer SEEMS to play the stream just fine.  It's hard to say for
sure without watching the whole thing end-to-end because it won't skip
ahead very well when running with the edl.

Anyway, this leads me to believe that there is some kind of framerate
conversion (or something like it) going on, since:

    mplayer -noframedrop -vo yuv4mpeg -ao pcm -waveheader \
            -v -osdlevel 0 file.nuv

works perfectly, and

    mplayer -noframedrop -vo yuv4mpeg -ao pcm -waveheader \
            -v -osdlevel 0 -edl file.edl file.nuv

does not (audio goes out of sync by about 1 second too-fast per
originally-half-hour of video).  I've continued to use the same encoding
settings:

nice -n 19 yuvdenoise < stream.yuv \
    | nice -n 19 yuvscaler -v 0 -n n -M BICUBIC -O SVCD \
    | nice -n 19 mpeg2enc --format 5 --quantisation 10 \
        --video-bitrate 2500 --aspect 2 --frame-rate 4 \
        --interlace-mode 0 --motion-search-radius 32 \
        --video-buffer 300 --nonvideo-bitrate 192 \
        --sequence-length 795 --multi-thread 2 -o file.mpv

toolame -m j -b 192 audiodump.wav file.mp2
tcmplex -m s -i file.mpv -p file.mp2 -o file.mpg

I use tcmplex because it's a bit (a LOT) more reliable with svcd than
mplex is.  And toolame is just a better mp2 encoder than mp2enc (and
allows joint stereo).

Anyway, I'm completely open to suggestions here. I've checked the
framerates on all files, and they're reading at 29.97, so that SEEMS
fine.  dunno what to say.  Hopefully mythtranscoder stuff will get
updated soon to allow for non-transcoding commercial cutting (or
released, since there has been talk of that patch being included in the
tree).

-Chris

So I'm going to take at least a little break from this stuff and go back
to mythweb for awhile.  If anyone has any ideas, or more luck, please
let me know.