[mythtv-users] newbie UK user

Zaheer Abbas Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Tue Jul 15 01:52:37 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 00:25, Mark Edwards wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I appologise if this question has been answered before on the list, I
> > have checked the list archives to no avail.
> >
> > I live in the UK and have an ntl cable tv subscription. This comes with
> > the standard cheapo pace cable decoder box. Currently we have a tivo
> > which controls the ntl box through the scart lead. Unfortunatly we are
> > about to lose the tivo as a housemate is moving out and taking it with
> > him. We are looking at mythtv as a perfect replacement. However, we are
> > worried that it will not be able change the channel on the ntl box as
> > the tivo does. I presume we need some kind of ir blaster device that
> > points directly at the ntl cable box. Is this so? I have limited
> > experience in this area (however I have been using Linux for a while and
> > should be able to install mythtv without too many complications ;-) )
> >
> > If there are any UK HOWTO guides or links on the internet I should be
> > aware of they would be greatfully received.
> >

> I have an NTL UK box and use the Actisys 200L serial port dongle.
> it kinda works, but there are some timing issues, so I have to remove and
> reload the driver a few times on start-up.
> The 'remotes' directory that comes with Lirc has a pace DI4001n file that
> works with my box, which is a DI410
> >From what I read it may be better to make the 'improved home-brew receiver'
> but I haven't tried it, apparently the range is better too, I get just over
> a meter range with mine, I also had to take the cover off it because it
> receives and points in the same direction, whereas I want receiving and
> transmitting to work in roughly opposite directions.
>
> Oh also, with xmltv you need to tell mythfilldb to use manual and run xmltv
> separately, but it works fine.
>
> Otherwise just follow the rest of the docs
>
> Mark.

I have an Actisys IR-200L dongle and an NTL box.  However I have a Pace
NTL box that only supports irda so I had to buy a device from
www.redremote.co.uk which makes it emulate a Philips itv digital box.
Now they (redremote) have a cool device that plugs into the serial port
so u no longer need to use the IR transmitter dongle.

So my setup has lircd using the Philips itv digibox setup and a modified
channelchange.pl script.

--
Zaheer Abbas Merali <zaheerabbas at merali.org>