[mythtv-users] Can't play MPEG-4 recording

Wayne Veilleux wayne.veilleux at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 14 16:11:50 EDT 2003

Hi,

I would like to record using MPEG-4 encoding to save
some disk space because when I using MJPEG, it takes
about 144MB for a minute of recording instead of 3MB
for MPEG-4.

Here is how is my setup and my machine's performance:

Host: P4 1.7GHz, RAM:512MB, IDE-HD:ATA-100, X-res:640x480x16
Tuner: Marvel G400-TV
Video: Marvel G400-TV
Audio: intel8x0 (mobo built-in)

Watching TV:
50% of the CPU (average) using 1 decimal vert. & 2 horiz.

Recording Hardware MJPEG:
54% of the CPU (average) using 1 decimal vert. & 2 horiz.
Recording MPEG-4:
87% of the CPU (average)

Playing MJPEG recording:
30% of the CPU (average) using 1 decimal vert. & 2 horiz.
Playing MPEG-4 recording:
Cannot play MPEG-4 :(

When I'm trying to play MPEG-4 record, a blank screen
appear and nothing happen. It is not crashed because I
can go back with an Escape key. In console mode, I have
those errors repeated about 8 times:

X Error: BadAlloc (insufficient ressources for operation) 11
Major opcode:  141
Minor opcode:  19
Resource id:   0x800dfe

One thing that is strange is that I can see the small little
preview of the MPEG-4 recording in the right bottom of
the "Select a recording to view" menu but it is going
much much faster than a MJPEG recording.

Does anyone saw that kind of problem before ?

Thanks

-- Wayne