[mythtv-users] PVR 250 card success, but jumpy video/interlacing problem

Marius Kjeldahl marius at kjeldahl.net
Mon Jul 14 13:09:28 EDT 2003

I finally got everything working on my new Shuttle XPC with the PVR 250 card.
To be honest, I literally had to hand code tuning frequencies into the
channel table to find all the channels on my cable feed (UPC in Norway) since
I could not get XawTV working, but after I found the channels, capturing and
watching live TV seems to work fine, with one exception:

The screen looks jumpy. I'm outputting this onto a normal computer monitor,
and the image seems to jump up and down. I am not talking about jerkiness or
anything, it just seems every second frame seems to be offset by one line
compared to the next, so the image seems to jump up and down in place.

I also attempted to capture some video (using cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg) and
play it on another machine just to rule out any installation specific
problems or playback related issues, and by doing this I was able to confirm
that the jumping is part of the captured stream (i.e. it jumps just as much
on my other system).

I've tried setting the different options about deinterlacing, jittering etc.,
but it does not seem to make any difference.

Any hints/ideas on what I need to do to get rid of that jumpiness when
watching live TV or capturing using the PVR 250?

Thanks in advance,

Marius K.