[mythtv-users] Video freezing

Curtis Stanford curtis at stanfordcomputing.com
Sun Jul 13 21:30:43 EDT 2003

OK, after reading the mailing lists for many months now, I've finally set up
my system. I have a simple Athlon 2100 with a PVR-250 for the backend and an
EPIA M10000 (Nehemiah) for the frontend. I'm using MythTV 0.10 and the latest
CVS ivtv driver. Everything looks and sounds pretty good. The only problem is
that the video and audio freeze every few seconds for just a fraction of a
second.

The backend and frontend are both using on-board LAN chips and go through a
Linksys 10/100 switch. This happens both on Live TV and playing a recording.
I'm also using XFree 4.3.99.8 which has the via driver for the CLE266 video
chip. The backend is using two 80G drives with raid-0 so the throughput is
awesome. DMA is enabled for all hard drives. Unfortunately, it looks like the
CPU usage on the EPIA is 100% so I'm thinking that it's falling behind. I
have seen people say it works fine for decoding mpeg2 so that's why I bought
it.

Perhaps I'm missing some kind of optimization or setting somewhere. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, I'm recording at 640x480 through the S-Video port on the PVR-250.

Thanks,

Curtis