[mythtv-users] mythencode question

David Madsen madsend at myrealbox.com
Sat Jul 12 12:42:50 EDT 2003

I have posted this a while back but since this has come up again I thought
I'd see if this will work for ya.  It does for me.

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy $1 > /tmp/enc.out 2>&1
mencvcd $2 -abr 224 -asr 48000 -mpgonly -noburn -vbr 1150 -vfr 4 -vnorm n
test.avi >> /tmp/enc.out 2>&1

I use this in a little script to convert the .nuv files into DVD compliant
VCD files that I compile onto DVD's, hence the 48k audio.  You can
substitute this for 41k for a normal VCD.  Anyway, it is a bit of a pain to
get all the files needed for mencvcd to run (easier if running on debian..
hint hint.. ;)  )  and the extra mencoder line was needed to keep the
audio/video in sync.  Not sure what mencoder does different than the mplayer
used in the mencvcd script but it helped things drastically.  I still have
audio sync problems when the source .nuv has dropped frames, but lately I
haven't had any problems with that.  Even on files with dropped frames, the
audio desync remains local to the area that had the dropped frames so not
too much loss.  The mencvcd script comes in the tar file for mplayer i
believe.  It also has the capability built into it to burn directly to a CDR
in the machine if you so please.

Dave Madsen