[mythtv-users] homebrew ir [working]

Michael J. Sherman msherman at dsbox.com
Sat Jul 12 11:51:32 EDT 2003

Big thanks to all who contributed to the latest discussion on getting
homebrew IR transmitters working.  I built the circuit and got
everything working with my DISH network box in just a couple hours last
night.  This is after many failed attempts to use my ActiSys IR200L, but
as I found out, the lirc_sir module needed for the ActiSys does not
provide the pulse frequency that the DISH network box remote uses.

The process was basically this:

1) Download and untar LIRC (I used 0.7.0pre1)
2) Run setup.sh and select homebrew (with transmitter option)
3) Run make, make install
4) Add three lines to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
        setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
        insmod lirc_serial
        /usr/local/sbin/lircd
5) Download and install jvc_send
6) Copy the jvc_send JVC 4700 remote def into /etc/lircd.conf
7) Copy the channel.pl script (in mythtv/contrib/) to /usr/local/bin
8) Edit channel.pl to set the remote_name to JVC_4700
9) Run mythtv setup to set the external channel change command to
        /usr/local/bin/channel.pl
10) Oh, and build the circuit ;)

I think that's about it.  The mailing list archives were the best
resource in figuring all this out.  Thanks to all!

-Mike

--
Michael J. Sherman  |  Software Developer  |  Digital Sandbox, Inc.
"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who know binary