[mythtv-users] Device to receive IR and send as PS2/AT keyboard signals?

Vernon Graner vern at txis.com
Fri Jul 11 18:23:43 EDT 2003

Ok,

So maybe I'm not the most talented programmer or user of MythTV (heck
mine doesn't even work yet!) But I do have a bit of talent at embedded
processors.

After reading a few posts about difficulties with LIRC and the problems
with emulating various keyboard keystrokes with an IR remote, I was
thinking about a project. The idea would be to build a small dedicated
circuit using a PIC micro controller to receive IR and to transmit mapped
PS2/AT style keyboard signals.

This would be a small unit that would plug into your Keyboard jack and
present an IR receive window somewhere on the front of your PC. You would
then use it to very simply receive IR commands and then map them to
keystrokes (or a series of keystrokes ala "macro") from the keyboard. For
example, pressing PLAY on the IR remote could be mapped to "F1" or even
"ALT-TAB, ALT-TAB SPACE CTRL-F1" or some such.

The Parallax Basic Stamp (http://www.parallax.com) even already has some
PS2/AT-Keyboard code floating around as well as some IR receive/interpret
code for IR remotes. I would be willing to take a shot at building such a
device if the general consensus was positive on such an endeavor. Of
course, in order to become a beta tester, I would require you come over
and help me get to the bottom of what's wrong with my MythTV box! :D  but
I digress... :)

Anyway, if there is such a device already, or the idea sounds stupid,
then... uh. never mind. But, if such a device might be of value to the
community as a whole I might try and gen up a prototype. Comments? :)

Vern

PS: Look for a list of the progress (or lack thereof) on my bedraggled
Myth box over the weekend as I gather the details for a decent, useful
"cry for help style" post...

--
Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE     | "If the network is down, then you're
Senior Systems Engineer     | obviously incompetent so why are we