[mythtv-users] NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420 TV-OUT

William Lindner blazing-dragon at charter.net
Fri Jul 11 19:02:57 EDT 2003

well, I've recently gotten MythTV up and running smoothly and I'm very happy with it.  So now I want to be able to use the TV-Out function with my GeForce4 MX420 graphics card.  The card is installed and it configured it with the default drivers that come with RH9.  I then downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run from NVIDIA and installed it.  That was fine, but I didn't really notice any changes...  I then went on to manually configure a few more options into the /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  I added these lines:

Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, TV"
Option "TVOut Format" "SVIDEO"
Option "TwinView"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"

there is a composite out and a S-Video out along with the typical monitor out on the back of this card.  When I try the composite out it will display the text on the television but when X tries to start it does not work and the screen just goes blank.  If I try to start it without the monitor connected and just the composite out to the composite in on the television then I will get strange blue blotches all over the screen which occasionally move around (I know it sounds weird...).  So I tried the S-Video out because I have a nicer television with S-Video input which I know works.  It has no response whatsoever.  Please ask if you need more explanation or anything.  Thanks in advance.