[mythtv-users] optimize MythTV

Nathan Poznick poznick at conwaycorp.net
Thu Jul 10 20:49:18 EDT 2003

Thus spake Albert Santoni:
> You know what?
> I've got an Athlon XP 2000+, and my MythTV also runs choppy... except
> it chops after a minute.  AND NOBODY WILL HELP ME. </backlash>

And I've got a Duron 1.3ghz, and MythTV runs nice and smoothly.  I
looked back at your post from two days ago.  Having a drive report a
371kB buffer does not seem normal.  All of my drives have a 2mB buffer.

root at zen:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.57 seconds =224.56 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.43 seconds = 44.76 MB/sec

Notice that the buffered disk read speed on mine is just over twice of
what it is on yours.  How old are those hard drives?  What's the RPM
speed on them?  Size?

Also, are you sure you have DMA enabled?  What does hdparm -d /dev/hda
say?  The reason I ask is because your hdparm -i output didn't have a *
next to the currently selected mode.  For instance:

 PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
 UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 udma6

Note that udma5 is the one currently being used on it.

It very well could be that there's something weird with your drives.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick at conwaycorp.net>

"All things considered, insanity may be the only reasonable
alternative."