[mythtv-users] Scan Converters

Jeff at ferdaze.com Jeff at ferdaze.com
Thu Jul 10 11:40:55 EDT 2003

I just wanted to let everyone know of my success with scan converters.

I first tried the S-video on my GF2Pro work ok on my 25" but not on my
65" plus the small frontend pc with OB vga did not have a AGP slot.
 The first on I tried was the "Audio Authority" VGA to Component
(Y-Pb-Pr) Converter
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/9a60.asp for $119
+shipping.  Work well... You have to use the same res that the TV can
handle i.e.
Modeline "720x480" 27.00 720 724 786 858 480 481 487 525 -hsync -vsync
Modeline "1920x1080" 74.250 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1094 1124
interlace +hsync +vsync

My OB video would only handle the 720x480 but it overscaned 15% on all
4 sides.  When comes down to it .... That's a lot of wasted space!  I
came a crossed the "Ultimate XP Pro PC-to-TV Converter" from Radioshack
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=25%2D3085
at $99.99 with free shipping.  It's the greatest!  You can adjust the
picture just as you would on your monitor.  You can adjust vertical and
horizontal position and the size of display, also adjust brightness,
contrast, hue and saturation with on screen menu display. It has vga
pass though so you can use both monitor and TV at same the same time.
 It can output Composite, S-video, YCbCr (component) and RGB video (not
all at the same time).  Also supports resolutions up to 1600x1200 (NTSC
or PAL) with no software required for conversion.  I have no over scan
and no under scan.  Did I say its the Greatest?  Here is the
manufactures site http://www.grandtec.com/xppro.htm