[mythtv-users] Matrox G400 Dual/Head TV-Out

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Thu Jul 10 13:12:18 EDT 2003

Scan converter option is interesting and I'll look more into that.  I did read a thread about them on here about a week ago.

Generally, nvidia cards do "just work" if my experience with my GeForce 4 (which I just used as a test against the G400) is any indication, at least as much as any graphics card could under Linux.  You do need the official nvidia drivers, I believe, which are probably the best-supported Linux drivers of any graphics card maker right now.  Then all you need to really do is set up XF86Config to know the limits of your TV and use it as a monitor.  But Linux itself will boot straight to the TV on its own (console mode - the TV out on nvidia cards is enabled in hardware by default), so you can even boot straight away without having a monitor attached.  Overscan, etc. can also be set in XF86Config.

Scan converter might still be easier, but I just worry about the quality loss.  Anywhere that you know of with some actual reviews of different scan converters?