[mythtv-users] Mailing List Volume

mojo mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Thu Jul 10 06:06:36 EDT 2003

Brian Lalor wrote:
> Matt Marsh wrote:
>
>> Is it time to consider splitting the mailing list into
>> a few more focussed lists? I for example am mainly interested in the
>> frontend side of things and I can't
>> really offer anything to the discussion of tuner cards
>> that often goes on here. Perhaps splitting discussion
>> of frontend/backend would be a start?
>

> I don't really think so.  There's already a (very quiet) dev list.
> Perhaps its time more folks used it?

no way would we want to split the lists... it would only lead to greater
confusion and lots of people posting "im not sure which list this
belongs in"... besides most people would join both so for most of us
there would be little decrease in mail...

if we had to attempt to alleviate the mail volume somehow i would
reccommend moving slowly over to a web based forum... its searchable,
separated by topic and in threads and easier to manage and read (you
wouldnt have people screamin at you to bottom post your replies)... also
i think a #mythtv-users irc channel would be nice... maybe on
freenode.net or something... for realtime help and chatting... that
should cut down on quite a few mailing list posts like the ones that go
"hey i cant get xmltv to get listings" re: "yeah if you'd read the last
1600 posts you'd know no one else can either" and so on and so on...

i think with a forum, an irc chan, and maybe a bug tracker (if the dev
team even wants one) we could almost eliminate the mailing lists...

but thats probably just me ;-)

Sean