[mythtv-users] No Audio

Achint Sandhu sandhu at kilo.dyndns.org
Wed Jul 9 15:31:41 EDT 2003

Hi,

	I've just started setting up my MythTV box and have run into a small snag.

	I'm using Gentoo linux and have installed the latest cvs version (from last
night). The box is a Pundit with a P4 2.4ghz processor, 1gig RAM and a PVR
250 card.

	I managed to get ALSA and the IVTV stuff built without any problems.

	After setting the input to the RCA video in jack on the back (using
test_ioctl -p 5), I tested it as follows. I need to use the RCA jack since I
will be using Myth with a satalite receiver. For my testing I have a VCR
plugged into this jack. I don't think, that this should make a difference.

	Using cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg works great. The audio is fine....

	Using mplayer -vo xv /dev/video0 runs fine too with smooth audio

	Armed with this, I proceeded to install Myth thinking that I had everything
setup correctly. The output from test_ioctl -a is included below incase
someone is intrested. I did notice that the last setting in the output is
Mute=1. Even with this capture works fine. I've tried changing this with no
effect.

	I setup the mythbackend with the capture card information. For the video
device I used /dev/video0, I didn't know what to set the audio capture device
to, but I've tried /dev/video0 (since the PVR250 is supposed to capture the
audio as well.), I tried /dev/dsp (I didn't expect this to work, but tried it
anyway)....

	Anyway, watching LiveTV in Myth does not generate any sound. After quitting
Myth, I can't get sound anymore using mplayer as above.

	Is myth doing anything special with the IVTV driver that causes this. I am
sure that I have the correct msp3400 module being loaded.

	Out of idea. Any help would be appreciated. I'm probably missing something
obvious. Thanks

Cheers,
Achint

test_ioctl -a
^^^^^^^^^^

ioctl: IVTV_IOC_G_CODEC
Codec parameters
aspect      : 2
audio       : 0x00e9
bframes     : 3
bitrate_mode: 0
bitrate     : 8000000
bitrate_peak: 16000000
dnr_mode    : 0
dnr_spatial : 0
dnr_temporal: 0
dnr_type    : 0
framerate   : 0
framespergop: 15
gop_closure : 0
pulldown    : 0
stream_type : 0
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_FMT
        Type   : Video Capture
        Width  : 720
        Height : 480
ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCAP
        Driver name   : ivtv
        Card type     : Vanilla iTVC15 card
        Bus info      : 0
        Driver version: 1
        Capabilities  : 0x01030001
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUMINPUT
        Name    : Composite 0
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Tuner   : 0x00000000
        Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
        Status  : 0
        Name    : Composite 1
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Tuner   : 0x00000000
        Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
        Status  : 0
        Name    : Composite 2
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Tuner   : 0x00000000
        Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
        Status  : 0
        Name    : Composite 3
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Tuner   : 0x00000000
        Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
        Status  : 0
        Name    : Tuner 0
        Type    : 0x00000001
        Audioset: 0x00000000
        Tuner   : 0x00000000
        Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
        Status  : 0
        Name    : Composite 4
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Tuner   : 0x00000000
        Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
        Status  : 0
        Name    : S-Video 0
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Tuner   : 0x00000000
        Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
        Status  : 0
        Name    : S-Video 1
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Tuner   : 0x00000000
        Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
        Status  : 0
        Name    : S-Video 2
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Tuner   : 0x00000000
        Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
        Status  : 0
        Name    : S-Video 3
        Type    : 0x00000002
        Audioset: 0x00000001
        Tuner   : 0x00000000
        Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
        Status  : 0
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_INPUT
Input = 5
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_FREQUENCY
Frequency = 0
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUMSTD
        ID          : 0x            3000
        Name        : NTSC
        Frame period: 1001/30000
        Frame lines : 525
        ID          : 0x              FF
        Name        : PAL
        Frame period: 1/25
        Frame lines : 625
        ID          : 0x          7F0000
        Name        : SECAM
        Frame period: 1/25
        Frame lines : 625
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_STD
Standard = 0x00003000
ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL
Brightness = 128
Contrast = 64
Saturation = 64
Hue = 0
Volume = 65535
Mute = 1

--
"There are 10 types of people in the world.  Those that understand
 binary and those that don't"