[mythtv-users] No video

James Y. Knight foom at fuhm.net
Wed Jul 9 15:08:20 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 09:04  PM, Bruce Markey wrote:

> If I run "aplay /dev/dsp1" aplay captures from dsp1 and outputs
> to the default /dev/dsp so I do hear the slightly delayed recorded
> sound and know that it is ready for MythTV.

Actually that's not true. 'aplay /dev/dsp1' is capturing from /dev/dsp1
and playing back via ALSA's 'default' device. If you're using MythTV's
OSS output method (most everyone is), to better simulate what Myth is
doing, you should try something like 'sox -r
32000 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp1 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp' which *does* output
through /dev/dsp. It's possible to get yourself a setup where output
via ALSA will work but output via /dev/dsp# won't, so it's best to
check what you'll actually use.

Or else, do use aplay, and set mythtv to use ALSA output. (not doable
via GUI yet, see earlier messages for how).

James