[mythtv-users] transcoding...

mojo mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Tue Jul 8 22:38:16 EDT 2003

mojo wrote:
> ok i think i am retarded or something (no response on that necessary)...
> i cant seem to figure out this transcoding thing... i have it set to use
> the cutlist because i like to double-check and sometimes re-edit the
> commercial flag cut points... i do that then hit 'm' to get out of the
> cutlist editing mode and while watching i hit 'x' (like it says in
> keys.txt) and the blue box comes up in the upper right saying "Trancode"
> then fades away... but nothing happens to the file... umm if i
> understand this right the file should get transcoded into the format i
> specified in transcoding profile in the record settings.  myth is not
> busy doing anything else at this point (recording or watching livetv)
> and simultaneous transcoders is set to 1 in the options... so... what am
> i missing?
>
> my original recordings are mpeg4 2200, vhq, v4mv, 32000kbps mp3 audio @
> 640x480... my transcoding profile is mpeg4, vhq, v4mv, 1000kbps @
> 320x240... im just trying to transcode them down to a smaller size so i
> only need to do: "mencoder -idx -oac copy -ovc copy -vop lavcdeint -o
> outfile.avi" or whatever (havent completely worked out if thats the
> right line yet) to dump them to avi so i can share em with my windows
> friends.
>
> must my original recordings be rtjpeg for it to work? ive got one that
> is and it does the same thing i think...
>
> thanks,
> a confused Sean

hmmm.. ok i just watched it finish a recording in top and it is 2 min.
past the end time of the recording and i see a process running with a
nice of 19 and taking 20-30% cpu:
6613 root      35  19 37940  37m 6632 S 28.5  8.4   0:33.26 mythbackend

so it would appear it is doing automatic transcoding even though i have
it set to use cutlist... is this because i have simultaneous transcoders
set to 1 that it is not making me do it manually like the notes on the
cutlist option say that it will? so if i want to transcode with the
cutlists i have edited then i need to have simultaneous transcoders set
to zero?

Sean