[mythtv-users] MythTV frontend/backend same box & OSS Audio

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Tue Jul 8 00:56:33 EDT 2003

> I'm trying to run mythfrontend & mythbackend on the same server.  When
> try to Watch TV from within mythfrontend, I get "Cannot open /dev/dsp".
> This certainly must be the cause of my problem, right?

often this is caused by another process such as artsd grabbing the
device. Make sure that is turned off. Also since 0.10 I have been
getting that message every once in a while, perhaps every 3rd or 4th
start of mythbackend/frontend. What is strange is absolutely nothing
has changed on that system except for the myth update and xmltv update.
I have not even let the red hat update agent do its thing. If I simply
kill the backend and frontend and try again it will usually start
without the error. Once I had to restart X.

best,
Cedar