[mythtv-users] Myth native ALSA support

James Knight foom at fuhm.net
Mon Jul 7 23:04:48 EDT 2003

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 11:39  AM, m0j0.j0j0 wrote:

> Is anyone using the new native ALSA support in Myth?

As far as I know I'm the only one so far. ;) I'm supposed to be working
on the rest of the support but haven't had time to finish yet.

> I compiled in ALSA support and set Myth to use it, but the results so
> far aren't too good. Sound seems off from video slightly and the high
> pitches are gone. It's hard to describe, but it's just not right.
> Switching back to '/dev/dsp' makes everything sound fine again.

Hrm, dunno...it's been working fine here for a while.

Kernel 2.4.20-k7. ALSA 0.9.2-1. snd-via82xx module.

> Just curious if anyone else has played with it and what their
> experiences have been.

As far as I can discern from the (not so great) speakers in my TV, the
output is identical to the output from /dev/dsp. I'd definitely notice
if I was having problems of it being unsynched, but I'm not sure I'd
notice if the tone was slightly different.

Does using the ALSA support in other applications cause the same
problem with high pitches? E.g. compare "mpg123 -o alsa foo.mp3" with
"mpg123 -o oss foo.mp3".

James