[mythtv-users] Re:Nupplevideo, why?

mojo mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Mon Jul 7 15:25:21 EDT 2003

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> [snip]
>

>>If all linux users behaved this way to all windows users you would most
>>certainly never ever see your goal of being the dominant OS
>

> [snip]
>
> You speak of the OSS/Linux community as if it's a monolithic organization
> with an agenda of domination.  It's not about that.  It's about not *having*
> a dominant OS.

an excellent point. in fact i think a great deal of time is wasted by
having so many varieties of *nix moving in so many directions at once
doing things just differently enough to break compatibilities unless you
know a few tricks or have an rpm specific to your distro. i think some
serious RFC's need to go through the linux community...

> Standards, formats and protocols should be open and
> portable.  When software is written with those things in mind, it is trivial
> to build it for any OS.  Let the user choose.  The only thing standing in
> the way of a Windows (or OSX, *BSD, Solaris, AIX, etc) Myth frontend is the
> dedication of someone to write it.  The formats and protocols are open for
> inspection.  (Of course, a free version of Qt/Windows would help...)
>
> -JAC

indeed, you are preaching to the choir... such is the beauty of open
source... if you have a problem with it or you want to change something
or add an option or just think the buttons should be green then its all
right there for you to do yourself... including a windows port... which
reminds me... has anyone tried running the frontend on a VMWare linux
machine from a windows machine? it just might work.. i heard that the
new vmware 4.0 allows some direct access to the video card and overlay...

Sean