[mythtv-users] HDTV (HDCP) + MythTV

Brandon Beattie bbeattie-maillist at linkexplorer.com
Mon Jul 7 13:31:01 EDT 2003

I've taken the route of setting up a custom modeline for my DLP
Projector.  It is a 1024x576 (16:9) ratio running at 60 hz (will be 72
soon).  Anyway, I prefer to take the route of having an exact resolution
match of my video source, even though my projector takes a 1080i signal.
There's no good reason to upscale and then have your HDTV system
downscale it.  You loose quality of the image that way, especially when
many HDTV's native resolutions arn't true HDTV resolutions.  I have a
Geforce 4, FX 5200 card with DVI to my projector.  I don't run HDCP as
there's no need when just sending it a computer signal in it's native
resolution.  ATI cards do have better color and constrat (or gamma
curves) so I've heard, but ia geforce's mpeg2 decoder is more likely to
work under Linux..

I think this should all work, but I never have tested sending a 1080i
signal to a HDTV system.  My understanding is that you don't need to
deal with DHCP if you're source isn't sending the encrypted bit for an
ATSC stream.  So if you send a 1920x1080 resolution image from a video
card, you'll never have to deal with DHCP.  However, I just realized
this only works if you have the computer decoding the ATSC Signal, if
you're using a HDTV card to directly draw to the HDTV,  But I don't know
of any HD cards with DVI on them, so I'm assuming you're going via a
video card.

As for interlacing, I'm not to that point as I'm working on other things
first.

--Brandon