[mythtv-users] Sound card with SPDif TOSLINK out

Brandon Beattie bbeattie-maillist at linkexplorer.com
Mon Jul 7 12:06:43 EDT 2003

Can anyone recommend a soundcard that is supported under Linux and has a
TOSLINK SPDIF optical out connection?  I'll never use analog sound, so I
need everything to go over the TOSLINK to a AV receiver.  I have an MSI
Kt4v mainboard, which I can get a "S" bracket that has a TOSLINK on it.
The mainboard has a VIA 8233 onboard ("6 Channel") chip, and I have not
been able to find any information about support for the onboard
connector for the TOSLINK.  The "S" bracket basically just hooks up to
some pins on the mainboard.

I'd like to spend the least amount possible.  It's $10.00 for the "S"
bracket.  And since digital is digital, and no sound processing needs to
be done, I'd take any simple pci card with optical out, as long as it
works under Linux.  I'd appreciate any ideas on what works.

--Brandon