[mythtv-users] ivtv, mythtv & via 694 ?

Heikki Julkunen Heikki.Julkunen at motorola.com
Mon Jul 7 10:14:30 EDT 2003

Hi, since my original mythtv box suffered from the KT133 problem
(aka "Backend stuffed up") I'm thinking of replacing it...
However, using a Athlon cpu would mean it would be very noisy
(since they DO generate a fair amount of heat), so I'm leaning towards
using a celeron instead, but it seems like most socket 370 mobos use some
version of via chipsets...

So, has anyone tried using the via 694T chipset successfully ?
(VIA 694T chipset and VIA 686B South Bridge)

My old box was a 1100Mhz celeron, which was fast enough to run
mythtv, and also being able to decode high quality divx movies.
My new box is a 600Mhz P3 - fast enough for mythtv but not for divx...
I also tried my Athlon XP2000+ box, definitely fast enough for both,
but very hot/noisy!

So if anyone has any hints of how to get a good mythtv box that is:
cheap, relatively speedy, and quiet (yes, yes, I know - you can only
pick two!) :)