[mythtv-users] Actisys IR-200L reliability...

Joseph H. Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jul 7 08:09:44 EDT 2003

I'm gonna reply to my own message here for the sake of all the English
teachers I have had (don't want them to think I didn't learn anything).
If I had to give myself a grade on this POS I wrote it'd be somewhere in
the Z range.

I apologize to anyone who tried to make sense of this, it jumped around
more than a kangaroo on crack!  I'm embarrassed.

Next time I'll read what I write before I send it!

Joe

I'm
> pretty sure it's there in lirc somewhere)
>
> It's a shame that there is no way to get feedback about what channel
you
> have tuned... but I imagine that is nearly impossible.
>
> You might try and write a script that will change channels repeatedly
> and while it's running, adjust blaster placement until it can reliably
> tune to the correct channels without fail.
>
> That's the unfortunate disadvantage of a ir control solution... it's
not
> 100% reliable.  Sunlight, and many other things produce enough
infrared
> light to interfere with transmission.  So you might also take note of
> the time's in which this is happening, and see if you can attribute it
> to environmental conditions, like sunlight or lights on in the room
ect.

> Hell... I've seen situations where a good layer of dust has made a
> remote act flakey... cleaned the remote and the receiver and it worked
> great.
>
> Due to the fact that it's ignoring the second digit in the channel
> string (channel 444 tuned to 44 was likely the first and third 4) I'd
> bet that your receiver has difficulty receiving as quickly as your
> transmitting, so it ignores the second character because it's still
> processing the first, it then will catch the third because it is ready
> for it by then.  Because this is so intermittent I don't think you
need
> to increase the delay much, a few millisecs would probably be enough.
>
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/3680/2002/7/0/9103428/

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=2138;search

_string=%5Bmythtv%5D%20lirc%2C%20Motorola%20DCT2000%20and%20the%20Actisy