[mythtv-users] video capture card list for MythTV

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Mon Jul 7 09:44:05 EDT 2003

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> Posting this to the list, per Martin's request.

Thanks for compiling it. I wonder, if there any other such lists on the
net? This is not MythTV-specific and maybe you can join efforts.

Please list PAL vs. NTSC, if possible. The tuner is often what makes the
difference between "working" and "not supported".

Maybe it would be helpful to list mono/stereo as well. Many cards are
actually still mono, and manufacturers do not tell customers so. They
often mislead them by saying that it's stereo, while only the radio part
is stereo. Also, vendors have sometimes wrong information (e.g. the
Pinnacle PCTV ist listed as stereo at one big online store here,
although the manufacturer confirmed that it's mono only - I had to
actually call the hotline to find that out!).

> Hauppauge Win PVR 350. Video capture works using the IVTV kernel
> driver.  Audio is part of the combined MPEG-2 stream provided through
> the IVTV driver, so no separate audio driver or connection is needed. .

You may want to make a statement about the hardware decoding / tv out on
this card.

> Hauppauge WinTV-Nexus-s. This card does not yet work with MythTV, but
> Isaac reports (on June 25): "Almost.  It's being worked on.  Help
> coding/testing would be appreciated". Audio: no information.

This is a DVB-S card. Isaac's comment would makes sense in that case,
because DVB support in MythTV is rudimentary, but recording/playback is
reported to work (I don't know about this card, though). If you want to
list DVB cards, I think you should list them separately (same for analog
hardware encoders, BTW).

> Pinnacle PCTV Pro. Video capture works using the bttv kernel driver.
> Audio requires using a jumper to a sound card; btaudio does NOT work.

PAL version did not work as of Autumn 2002, despite being listed in the
kernel'S CARDLIST as supported ("slipstreaming", as you call it).

Note that the non-Pro version is mono.

> Terracom Cinergy 400. Video capture works using the SAA7134 driver.
> Audio: no information.

s/Terracom/Terratec/

Audio works (digital audio, no sound card required), after some pain
getting it to work (see my post on that subject, basically had to use
oss=1 module parameter). I have intermittend problems (the backend says
something about composite and no tuner, usually, the first channel
change has no audio, it's OK afterwards), but I don't know the cause,
might not be the card at all.

Because of the new, integrated SAA7134 chip, it provides stereo sound
*and* is relatively cheap. Might be a good buy.