[mythtv-users] Re:Nupplevideo, why?

Nathan Poznick poznick at conwaycorp.net
Mon Jul 7 02:03:28 EDT 2003

Thus spake Keat Lim:
> You have got to be kidding me... How long did it take you to install
> MythTV? Look at the pain and suffering you had to go through just to
> install it... The only one that was painless was the nvidia video driver
> installation... that actually looks sane and didn't tell me to
> ./configure;make;make install... other than that you might as well take
> two shots of painkillers before even attempting to install MythTV and hope
> to finish by the next day...

Err.  From the time I got the last bit of hardware for my MythTV machine
(the CPU) until the time I scheduled my first recording to make sure it
worked, about 4 hours elapsed.  A goodly portion of that time was spent
upgrading to sid, and letting mythfilldatabase run for the first time.
Soldering together an IR receiver from radioshack parts and getting that
working took another 5 hours on a different day (what can I say, I'm not
too good with a soldering iron so it took me a couple of tries, and then
there was the "plugged it in to the wrong serial port and couldn't
figure out why it wasn't working" problem).

It's not *that* difficult to get set up.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick at conwaycorp.net>

Loquacity and lying are cousins. - German Proverb