[mythtv-users] Re:Nupplevideo, why?

Keat Lim mythtv at keatlim.com
Mon Jul 7 02:27:38 EDT 2003

You have got to be kidding me... How long did it take you to install
MythTV? Look at the pain and suffering you had to go through just to
install it... The only one that was painless was the nvidia video driver
installation... that actually looks sane and didn't tell me to
./configure;make;make install... other than that you might as well take
two shots of painkillers before even attempting to install MythTV and hope
to finish by the next day...

Linux still has a loooong way to go as far as an everyday GUI desktop
replacement... Windows has its market share and as much as you hate it you
have to admit that it is pretty impressive an OS like that can work with
so much different configurations and yet still somehow make it
work... Linux is still a hackers OS... all about using beta and alpha
software/drivers that may or may not work....

That said and done MythTV is definately a hacker's tivo.. impressive for
what it is and how far it has evolved in such a short time... Tivo would
do me just fine if I needed it to watch and record TV but I want a
computer to interface with my video storage w/MythVideo and that makes
MythTV that much more powerful...