[mythtv-users] Re:Quality of Aitech Web Cable Plus sucks

Keat Lim mythtv at keatlim.com
Mon Jul 7 00:20:12 EDT 2003

I am using the wall adapter. The problem with this unit is that it has no
overscan feature. What you see is what you get. I guess when they design
this thing it was made so that it was better to underscan than overscan.
Maybe with the ideal hardware it *may* come out right. With my Geforce2MX
vga out it seems to underscan slightly.  Enough that there is a border
around certain areas and causes little distortions in the border (due to
the different contrasts). Maybe the cause is both the VGA output and the
TV itself.  But the main thing is that the output is *totally*
unacceptable for TV viewing but may be acceptable for presentations with
the need for a full desktop view.

It still doesn't excuse the quality of the video though. The cables itself
looks really cheap (especially the long distance of that really thin VGA
cable) and the output is just not spectacular. I have tried several
different refresh rates and had always used the wall adapter. The results
just looks like some crappy tv out from crappy video cards I have seen all
the time. I think the problem is that most people out there do not know
what quality is. So when I look at a blue background I expect to see a
good solid blue background, not with little ripples going through which is
very visible standing about 2 feet away. For most people as long as it is
not visible from 10 feet away it is good for them.

Who knows... I may have a bad unit but I doubt it...